Common Carpet Complaints
Here are some emails from homeowners with Carpet and Padding complaints and Carpet Installation problems. These homeowners bought new Carpet and ended up unhappy for various reasons.
In most of these cases, there was no warranty coverage for their complaints and no recourse. This is why it is important to learn how to choose new carpet wisely and buy from a reputable carpet dealer. Where to buy new carpet? See who I recommend near you!
Common Carpet Complaints and Carpet Installation Problems.
Note: Many of these Carpet problems could have been avoided had the homeowners done their “Carpet Homework” before they purchased new carpet. Visit my Table of Contents to see all my free carpet articles.
- I have had my carpet for 11 months. After 3 or 4 months I noticed different shades in the carpet. I bought the best carpet. I put in a complaint 4 months ago. The warranty means nothing. In the living room half is one shade and the other half darker. I have big dark spots other places and in the bedroom circles of very light color. It looks like some one spilled something and tried to clean it.
- At first our new carpet was beautiful, but it didn’t take me long to realize that I didn’t like to walk on it barefoot. Also, it seemed to mat down very quickly. We have high traffic areas and steps since our home is a split-level and the carpet really started looking “old” and “worn” within the first 6 months. In a nutshell – I HATE this carpet! Carpet Fiber Choice vs Durability
Olefin Berber Carpet
- I had a looped Berber carpet installed just a couple of years ago and already it looks dingy in the high traffic areas. I had it cleaned by Coit for the first time and now it seems to be worse not better. Is there anything I can do to make it look better? I know that the carpet isn’t that worn as there are only 2 adults here and we work 5 days a week so not much wear but on weekends and evenings, and most of the time shoe-less. Is Berber Carpet a Good Choice?
Bad Installation Installation / Low Quality Carpet
- Hi Alan, I hope you can help me out before I’m stuck with my builder trying to tell me my carpet is supposed to look the way it does. We are having a new home built after being in a hurricane. They laid the new carpet in three bedrooms. They all have ripples in them and one room has the worst ripples. Could you please tell me why that is so I don’t look stupid when I argue the point with the builder? We are closing in a couple of weeks. Carpet Fiber Choice vs Durability
Staple Fiber, Not a Continuous Filament
- I recently had new carpeting installed. It is suppose to be nylon. The issue I have is every time I vacuum it I wind up with a ton of what I call carpet fluff in the vacuum. Is this typical? Or is this just cheap carpeting. Why Do Some Carpets Shed and Fuzz?
Bad Carpet Installation / Olefin Carpet
- The carpet we have was not installed correctly and we have rolls (wrinkles) and highly visible seams. The carpet has been professionally cleaned, but the tech said that he was not able to remove the stains because the carpet was so badly rolling and loose. It looked like he did a good job at first, but the stains reappeared after a short time. Carpet Fiber Choice vs Durability
Staple Fiber, Not a Continuous Filament
- We have just moved into a new construction that has Mohawk Somerset installed. It’s been 45 days of hell. The rug sheds continuously. We have contacted the Mohawk rep and he said that this might continue for up to a year. Meanwhile we are sneezing, itching and inhaling these fibers into our system. We are very dissatisfied with this carpet and it is throughout our house. We have a two year old son who is always playing on the floor. It is causing some real problems for us. We have spoken with our neighbors who have the same carpet and they said the same thing. Why Do Some Carpets Shed and Fuzz?
Low Quality Carpet
- I just had carpet installed a week ago. It is a textured cut pile manufactured from Camelot Carpet Mills. I kept several extra pieces. One of the pieces had some water spilled on it and I noticed after an hour or so later that the primary and secondary backing had separated. What does this mean? Carpet Specifications Explained
Improper Carpet Installation
- We purchased a Mohawk “soft back” carpet and within a year experienced tremendous rippling. We had it re-stretched and a year later the rippling is back worse than ever. The manufacturer claims the installation is to blame rather than the carpet. Top 10 Causes for Carpet Wrinkles
Wrong Carpet Padding / Poor Carpet Installation
- We have a new two year old home and we thought we got good carpeting and most of all a good depth of padding. They put in Stainmaster Carpet. We have begun to have ‘ripples’ in the carpeting! What in the world causes this? We are just two senior citizens living here and don’t have much company at all. Where we first began to notice the ripples is in a room which is hardly used – other than to walk through, clean and sit to read a newspaper. Top 10 Causes for Carpet Wrinkles
Carpet Manufacturing Variance
- I purchased a plush carpet for a living room, dining room, stairs and a hallway. My concern is the sample I based my decision on is different than the laid carpet. The laid carpet feels softer than the sample but it seems to show more foot traffic.
- Our home is 2 years old and is a spec house in which the builder used all cheap flooring, appliances, fixtures etc. Most of our house has plush carpet that is stained, worn down and worn out. Carpet Fiber Choice vs Durability
Carpet Shading – Construction Defect
- I recently had Mohawk carpet installed in my home. This is the problem. The insert piece in the living room and bedroom is a darker color than the main piece of carpet in each room which causes a stripe to appear down one side of each room. I’m perplexed because I had this exact same carpet installed in my previous home with no problems.
Carpet Construction Defect
- We recently had some carpet installed and the carpet seems to have several “lines” developing across the pattern. The installer and manufacturer and an “independent” analyst have all insisted this is a normal “defect” in the carpet. Is this normal? The lines look like someone took a child’s wagon and wheeled it up and down the hallway.
Common Trait of Commercial Carpets. Not a Defect.
- I recently had an expensive, high quality synthetic carpet over a jute and hair mat installed in my bedroom by a large company that specializes in carpets and caters only to designers. Now, when I walk across the room, the rug “crunches” ((has a squeaking sound) The carpet on the stairs was installed by a second person, and does not have the crunching sound. What is the problem? (carpet too loose???) and how can it be corrected?
Chose The Wrong Carpet Padding
- I just recently had brand new carpet installed and it is literally acting funny. When you walk on it it has a strange crunchy/squeaky feel to it under your feet. It is everywhere you walk and every one feels it. Any ideas what this is? Choosing The Right Carpet Padding
Carpet Defect / Low Quality
- We had Mohawk Horizon carpet installed in our basement. It has been stretched 2 times (including the initial installation). One section in the middle of the basement is rippling again. Could this be installation, carpet or some other issue? The basement is dry, so it is not moisture.
- I had Beaulieu Hollytex carpets installed and there was a problem with a side match. They replaced it and still there was a problem with it. The next time we changed the color and the pieces matched, but now we have a line like a cut down the middle. I blame the manufacturer or mill for not inspecting it better.
- I have a dilemma with our master bedroom wool carpet from Glen Eden Mills. Shortly after having the carpet installed, I noticed a sort of shading appear just inside the bedroom doorway. After vacuuming and getting on my hands and knees to see what could be wrong. The fibers were going in different directions making a sort of water line well into the room. After many calls and letters to Glen Eden, we received several articles on water marking or pooling from the manufacturer. None of us wanted to accept this bogus explanation, so I wrote a letter myself and asked that an independent carpet inspector come out and take a look. They finally sent an inspector out and he agreed that the excuse seemed bogus, but that he had to report what he saw and that it was ” water marking”. Glen Eden chose not to do anything for us. We had the carpet less than 9 months when I started the investigation and we spent $4000.00 on one room of carpet! (Not a huge room either.) I then wrote another letter, this time to the president of Glen Eden, hoping to appeal to his caring side. We have heard nothing in response and I imagine we never will. It has been at least four months since I wrote. What do you know about water marking and is there anything else you can think of for me to do?
Carpet Construction and Manufacturing Variances
- We have already purchased and installed an Evans Black, Carpet One carpet. My husband and I don’t feel like it is the same one we chose – which I know now is a common scam.
- We just had Nylon repeat-pattern carpet put in our family room. When you enter the room on the left as you view within 4 feet you see what I would think the carpet should look like but as your eyes move to the right it looks like someone has scattered sand across the carpet. It is something to do with the nap but I hate it. If you move to the right and look back then the pattern appears. Help ME!
Wrong Padding Choice
- We are in the process of building a new home, and an option we chose was “Glacier Spill-Proof Carpet Padding”. Now that the carpet is in, when you walk around the house, it sounds like your walking on trash bags. Originally, I was told it was a defect in the padding where it was bunching up. They supposedly replaced the padding. Still does it. They have now supposedly “upgraded” it to the “BMW of spill-proof carpet pads”. Still does it. Now I am being told that again supposedly a rep from the factory came out, and deemed it a “characteristic” of the carpet pad due to the spill proof layer on top. Choosing The Right Carpet Padding
Chose Wrong Carpet Style / Olefin Berber Carpet
- We purchased a soft Berber for our basement. It is the newest Mohawk Smartstrand carpet. 3 days after it was installed, we noticed there was already a loop pulled. Looks like 3 loops or more have already pulled up. We also found 3-4 areas where the loop looks to be separated/broken on the top. And, we found at least 2 areas where the top of a loop is separated but it appears almost to be tied. So, at the top the loop is separated but something has it together at the very top, and then the two frayed ends are sticking out from there.
My dealer came out and said the pulled area must have been from something catching on it, perhaps our dog, child or a box, or almost anything. Nothing they could do about that but repair it. The other areas where the loop is separated, he said well, that can happen. As for the loops that look tied, he said he has never seen that before. My question is: did we just pick the wrong carpet for our basement??? Does three days to 1 week sound unreasonable to be having so many problems already? And, what might our recourse be? Is Berber Carpet a Good Choice?
Improper Carpet Installation
- We’ve lived in this rental home for 4 years, our carpet started wrinkling about a year after we moved in- the wrinkles were in carpet before I got it professionally cleaned. The carpet cleaner said the carpet was not installed properly. The property owner is saying the carpet cleaner ruined it, although wrinkles were there already. I’ve spoken to others and were told that carpet was not stretched properly at installation and needs to be re-stretched. Top 10 Causes for Carpet Wrinkles